Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pretoria

This week we stayed in the city of Pretoria with Afrikaner host families. Staying with an Afrikaner family was such an awesome experience. My family made sure I got to taste traditional food and see how a home runs. I had such a great time, the family I stayed with was so generous and kind.

On Saturday we had a day off to spend with our host family and my family took me to a cheetah research center. I got to see adult cheetah’s and baby one’s too. After the tour, was over my family and I got to pet and take a picture with a king cheetah. It was pretty sweet. I really bonded with this family and I’m so happy I got the chance to see the way they live and be a part of the Afrikaner culture.

Lisa Schellenberg



A brief recap of the events during Pretoria week:

Day 1: Sunday

AM-church with the Afrikaners

PM-spending the afternoon getting to know our host families

Day 2: Monday

AM-an early morning trip to the Gospel Train

-there are 42 commuter train cars that run as churches in the mornings for commuters on their way to work. They sing loudly, bang on the seats and rails and speak passionately about God

AM-Lion Park

-pet lion cubs, feed a giraffe and ostriches as well as drive through different lion prides and get a close up look

PM-a stop at the mall to purchase some necessary items

Day 3: Tuesday

AM-Afrikaner history lecture

PM-visit the Voortrekker Monument and Freedom Park

-Voortrekker Monument commemorates the great trek taken by the Afrikaner people in the 19th century.

Day 4: Wednesday

AM-visit the Tshwane Leadership Foundation

-an inner city organization that runs different ministries throughout Pretoria

PM-a lecture at the University of Pretoria challenging us to partner with South Africans to make the future a better here

Day 5: Thursday

AM-Afrikaner history lecture, including a visit to Diamond Hill a battle field from the Anglo-Boer war during the year 1900.

PM-visit the Sammy Marks museum, a European entrepreneur who was a self made millionaire

Day 6: Friday

AM-visit some poverty stricken Afrikaners who live on a communal farm

AM-Drum Workshop

PM-a lecture at the University of Pretoria from Piet Meiring

PM-braai(BBQ) at the Voortrekker Monument with host parents

Day 7: Saturday

A free day with host parents


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been eagerly awaiting the updates and pictures. What an amazing opportunity for you all. I hope everybody is making good use of thier journals...you will want to remember this trip and the work that God is doing in you.